Translate

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Part 2 continued.

The Sunday for my date with Angie came.We had decided to go to The Center Street Church, just down from where I'm living now. Back then I was still living in Mission,at the dead end of 24th Avenue. The day dawned warm enough, but it didn't warm up much later in the day.What's called a Chinook wind blew in from the west.In winter,those winds, though very powerful usually have a warming effect.But it' was only fall,and relative to the ambient air,there was not much difference in air temperature. If anything the wind was rather cool and blew around a lot of trash.

Angie was a bit late, and I began to wonder if she was still coming, or if maybe she forgot my address.I thought she'd have no problem finding the street, because of it being a dead end.And I knew she had my cell phone number, so I stood out in the street waiting.

By this time, Angie and I had met a time or two for coffee, and talked most nights on the phone.In truth, I was growing rather fond of her, though I still wasn't really sold on the idea of having a steady girlfriend again.I'd been there and done that, and I just didn't think I was all that good at it. I'd been to her house on one occasion too. In all,I was rather beginning to like her,though I still had a bunch of concerns.One was all the sleeping at the festival.That planted the seed in my mind that she might be suffering from depression, and I wasn't certain I wanted to deal with that. Secondly, there was a considerable gap in our ages.I wasn't certain I wanted to date someone who was in her mid fifties, thinking that that would add up to a significant difference in values.That was a road I'd been down before. Or it could be that I was just making excuses.Angie, after all was pretty and well spoken. Most men would have found her desirable, and I guess I really did as well. But the biggest thing was I wasn't certain that she was that interested,though she certainly seemed to be engaged whenever we were together.

Twenty minutes after the planned meeting time she showed up.It meant that we had to rush a bit to get to church, but we managed to get there on time.That was the thing that really impressed me about Angie.She was as enthusiastic about church as a good place for a first date as I was.She was raised Catholic, but now attended an Evangelical church, so I really didn't see any conflict there, as far as dating and relationships were concerned.

The church service lasted about an hour and a half,and on the way out we bumped into some friends of Angie's.They were a husband and wife, and seemed to be rather surprised that Angie was with a man.The Center Street Church has a cafe outside the main sanctuary, so we sat and had coffee before heading out on our way.

After church we had planned a picnic at Prince's Island Park, in the middle of the Bow River.We had brought a bunch of food, so we decided to go, even though the weather had turned rather raw.The wind was blowing steady and it had clouded over and felt more like the first week of December, than late September.So we didn't stay long.Angie had prepared these wonderful and rather fancy chicken breasts that were stuffed with cheese, and we had a bunch of grapes and some salad.It was all a rather sophisticated meal for a picnic, and I took it as a sign that she really did have some affection for me. If the way to my heart was supposed to be through my stomach, she seemed to be trying to find her way there.

Finally we gave up on the idea of a picnic, and decided to go off to Timmy's for coffee.That doesn't seem like much of a place for a date, I know,but Angie was a coffee addict, and liked tea as well.And, it's a very Canadian place to go.I really didn't mind, because I really did enjoy her company.So we sat and nibbled donuts and talked for a long time.

Then it was time to go home.The date, as a date had been more or less successful. We were getting along famously.When we got back to Mission the wind had died down and the sun was back out, though it was still a bit cool.I asked Angie if she'd like to go for a walk along the river, and she eagerly agreed. Then, as we were walking along, we stopped, looked each other in the eye, and before you know it, we were kissing one another, in a rather passionate way.I enjoyed it.When we pulled apart I noticed one of my neighbors walking by and mentioned that I thought we'd been seen.To that Angie replied "Well I sure hop she got an eyeful." I replied that I was certain she did and that I was alright with it.We both agreed that we should see to it that she got another eyeful, and we stood kissing for awhile while the squirrels regarded us curiously.Then we headed back to her truck, which was parked in front of my building.We walked slowly, hand in hand.and sat talking for awhile before I went inside and she drove home. By now I was certain I would call her again.

I wonder if I should call Angie sometime.The problem is, I didn't really treat her all that well.I just stopped calling her cold turkey. The thing was, she never seemed to initiate phone calls.That was all me.So I asked myself if she would ever call me if I stopped calling her. I tried it out and I haven't heard from her since.That was seventeen months ago now. Maybe I'll call her, but most likely not.

If I'm going to church, it's time to get showered.By the time I'm finished the office will be opened, and I can call and see if there is any work tomorrow. The I'll have more than enough time to wander on down to the church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment