Translate

Monday, October 2, 2017

Part 2 Continued.

I doze a bit, maybe.I'm not really certain .Church.I'm thinking of going to church.I haven't been attending church much these past couple of years, but I know I should.I still believe the Christian message, I just don't like playing all the church games.You'd think that such things wouldn't happen in church.But that's wrong.

When I first started talking to my mother via email, she hadn't been aware that I was attending church regularly. She asked me what church I went to and I told her a Pentecostal one, and wondered what her reaction would be, her of the United Church Of Canada.She most likely had a picture in her mind of snakes and people babbling unintelligibly.I did'nt bother to tell her that I did not really hold to doctrine with all Pentecostals, and that was why my actual attendance in church had become more sporadic of late. In fact, I also got along tolerably well with a lot of Baptists, except for the reality of the saying that if you had two Baptists in a room together ,you had a disagreement, and if you had three you'd have a schism.Mostly I just wanted to go to a church where the preacher wasn't too interventionist in my life, and didn't mind me double checking him against scripture,which I thought of as the real final word on religion.

So maybe I'll wander on up to Center Street Church a bit later, if I can work these kinks out of my legs.It's three hours later on the east coast, so my mother is likely running around trying to get ready for church.She will be trying to round up some of my sisters kids to go with her, as it's always been her who has taken responsibility for their religious upbringing.My sister doesn't seem to believe in God, but I know she won't tell my mother that.She'll let her kids go along if they want to, and not say much of anything.I don't know what she tells them when they are at home though.Do they really have the freedom to think what they see as being best?

My father won't go to the church with my mother.I wonder what he does when she goes to church.He's sickly now, has been for years.Does someone come to stay with him while she is at church? Or can he survive alone for that hour and a half? I've grown a bit out of touch with things on the home front these past few years.Maybe it's time I did something about that. I've  known what my father thought about religion for a long time now: utter bullshit! But he would never say that to her.Before all the strokes,when his mind was still working right, he would never have considered disrespecting her views.But clearly he didn't believe in them.Still there's hope that in their alone moments she still has some sway with him, she still has a functional Christian ministry with her husband.I know she must be trying, not wanting the separation that comes with death.She worries about his eternal soul at his passing, which might not be far in the distance.

Maybe I'll wander on down to the church a bit later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment