Translate

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Part 2 Continued.

So,I think as I'm trying to find sleep, I guess someday I'll have to move from here. The problem with Calgary is that it's just a place to be.Not really home.There is work aplenty here. I've been busy every day that I've wanted to be since I've come here, and a good many days when I didn't want to be too.I'm making a bit of money, but it's an expensive town to live in too and I don't seem to be getting ahead. And I just seem to be so damn restless all the time, despite the comfortable routine.I guess that will change at some point, because change always seem to come.I wonder what sort of change life will bring,and if I'll be ready for it.

Moving to Calgary never really became anything more for me than what it was in the beginning.I'd followed Janet here, thinking that it would work out.But it didn't, and when that all went bad,I never really made myself a part of the community.I went to work, I came home,I slept and ate, then started it all over again the next day.So, like I said,it was just a place to be.

My real problems with Janet started at her staff Christmas party.I had worked all day tearing down old drywall and I was tired and dirty when I got home, and left to my own devices I really would have preferred to stay home. I've never really liked staff parties to begin with because they nearly always end up being the start of something bad. I've only ever attended two of my own staff parties, and at both,it wasn't long until the liquor loosened up the tongues,some issues between people that had been simmering for months, if not years came up, and before you knew it a bunch of people were at each other's throats.But everyone was at least pretending that all was well by Monday morning.

Once, while I was still married, I went to a party at the company my wife and I both worked at.Before we were there half an hour,our boss, who was legendary for not being able to hold her liquor,was face down in her plate of rubber chicken and had to be carried off to her truck,where she sat passed out for the rest of the party. My problem with all of that is that I'm still being asked to respect my boss at work, when she really is not respectable.So I normally take a pass on Staff parties.

I should have stuck to that rule with Janet, but I was new in town and really did want to meet her friends and co-workers.So off to the party we went, and while we were there everything seemed to be going fine.It's a few days later when I became aware of the fact that some of her co-workers, who had never met me before, had been saying some very uncomplimentary things about me.Like"He looks like a drug dealer and a stoner." Why anyone would have said that about me was beyond me,because I was perfectly sober at that party.In fact, my next drink will be my first.It was something that all of those people had been led to expect of me long before we'd met, so really I don't see what came over them.Then Janet and I got into a huge argument about the whole thing a few days later. I suggested that the persons involved would need to apologize to me,if they ever expected me to interact socially with them again.Janet suggested,taking the side of her friends that I really did look like a dealer because,at that time I had very long hair.I was amazed at that,because Janet had said that one of the things she liked about me was that hair.So I couldn't understand why she was taking the part of her friends, when she really should have known me better than that.She certainly knew me and my value system better that those people could ever hope to.So here I am with a bunch of people I'd only known for a couple of hours passing judgement on me, their real motives hidden, and a girlfriend that seemed to value what people thought more than she valued me.We stayed together a few more months, but in point of fact, it was that one thing more than any other that our relationship was unable to survive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment